Don’t Listen To The Doubters! Just Do It!
Someone had to be 1st free-climbing El Capitan… Believe that you can do something extraordinary! Don’t listen to the doubters! Just do it!
The world is held back by the multitudes of people who say it cannot be done. And yet someone was first to free-climb El Capitan this last year! We know we will get further by working on leveraging our strengths than by toiling to repair our weaknesses, right? So what can we do to leverage our many strengths? Here is a neat list of some great practices that should help you to move quickly in a positive direction.
- Realize that occasionally, you might actually LOVE to do something you are not necessarily well positioned to do “naturally” well or easily. Given your passion, you don’t need to stress about continuing to do it if it makes you happy. If it feels good, do it! On the flip side, some of us become very skilled at a task that we just don’t like to do. That’s okay, too; don’t fret about it!
- Remember that a strengths-based approach leaves you working in the realm of the positive, and it feels better and makes the day go more quickly and more smoothly. You will see quick returns in terms of your productivity, your sense of well-being and in your confidence level. Enjoy it!
- Consider taking a Fascination Advantage Assessment to discover your fascination advantages or your most effective modes of communication and also learn how the world sees you. You can take this assessment online at www.howtofascinate.com. Study the report to determine how to create your own anthem (a tagline for your personality) and how to understand the highest and best value you bring to your work. Develop a sense of how the world sees you.
- Ignore the negativity of others. I cannot emphasize this point enough. Some people can’t help but want to rain on someone else’s enthusiasm. Do NOT let your day or your mood be defined by some idiot who lives in a flat world. I choose positivity because I’ve seen miracles and I’ve seen the awesome power in belief and the awesome power in planning for success. Don’t allow yourself to listen to negative self-talk, either. We all have the potential to stop ourselves in doubt. Don’t!
- Stay focused on your goals. Write them down, keep them near the list of your greatest strengths and remind yourself of them when things get fuzzy or the going gets tough.
- Don’t allow yourself to be limited or restricted by self-limiting beliefs. What is that, you ask? One Sunday, the paper had an ad for a $50,000 per year sales position. In the next week, 52 applicants pursued that job. Two weeks later, the same ad ran with one change. Now, the position was paying $250,000 per year. That week, two applicants pursued the job. Same ad, same responsibilities, but only two people felt worthy of applying for the job because they couldn’t imagine someone paying them $250,000 for the job. Doesn’t make sense, does it? Don’t let self-limiting beliefs stop you from aiming high.
- Believe that anyone can do something extraordinary. Someone had to be the first free-climbing El Capitan. Someone had to be first swimming the English Channel. Someone had to be the first to walk on the moon. Before these accomplishments, there were multitudes of people who said it couldn’t be done. It only takes one person to prove the world wrong and set the bar higher. Be that person. Tell the doubters to hold your keys until you’re finished winning the race, and then watch them turn green with envy.