Hire employees who have great skills that make them a good fit for the job you’re hiring them for. Also look for associates who show signs that they will be able to develop the skills that will help them succeed from there to make them successful in the next job after that, and the next job after that. Hire people who clearly show that they will be promotable!
- A Growth Mindset and a Positive Attitude — Your associates must be oriented for growth, and able to say “not yet” as they grow without becoming defensive. Look for happy, content, energetic people who bring a “Can Do” spirit to your team.
- A Service Mentality and Gratitude — Your associates must be willing to serve others first, and to be thankful for all the good things that happen as they go above and beyond normal expectations.
- Integrity and Honesty — There is really no substitute for being ethical and truthful in life or in business. You cannot fake sincerity, and hiring someone who is not forthright in all situations is a risk you cannot afford to take, regardless of their talent.
- Professionalism — Your associates must be sharp in their grooming, their dress, and always represent your company in ways that put your best foot forward.
- Consistent Initiative to Act Positively — People either get it, or they don’t. The best associates are always trying to better themselves. Look for people who WANT to improve and do whatever it takes to add value for your customers.
- Consistent Accountability — Your associates will have to be relentlessly reliable and commit to dependability for others, without excuses. Punctuality and preparation are great signs of future greatness.
- Respectfulness — Following company policies and honoring the core values of your company are non-negotiable. Also hire people who’ve demonstrated that they respect authority and know how to navigate the chain of command with agility.
Michael is a Business Coach and an award-winning member of the Professional Business Coaches Alliance. He works closely with small and medium-sized businesses and their owners and leadership teams to help them run more profitable businesses. Michael sponsors an educational program, the ‘Michael Beach Coaching & Consulting Business Network Book Club‘. This Club meets once a month in Prior Lake, Minnesota. A presentation and discussion revolve around one popular Business Best Seller a month where Michael provides insight into a relevant business topic covered by the book. On July 21, he will be presenting on the book, ‘The One Thing’ written by Gary Keller with Jay Papasan. You will leave this session feeling more productive, less overwhelmed and more in control of your life, both personally and professionally. Join us on July 21 and learn to get your focus back and become more productive.
For more information about the Business Network Book Club and a list of the books that we will discuss this year, send us an email at email@example.com.